Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Painter and a Sculptor



Jason Ruhl is an artist who paints and works in mixed media. His stuff is minimalist with a history. There is often social commentary mixed in, along with the fantastically clever pop culture reference. He uses pink, which is an arbitrary comment by me, but I love pink. Seriously. His mixed media work includes compositions, of amongst other things, vintage ads and comics and medical drawings. I also think his Polaroids are reviving the media, and this new series of buttons has got some serious potential. Who doesn't love a good button.

Jason belongs to an informal artist's collective called No Fun. I don't believe I know any of this group personally, but they all seem to do great, interesting, valid work. Check out a collabrative effort including some of these artists at this blog spot.

Tracey Scheich is primarily a sculptor who's work is plain and simply elegant. The latest stuff I've seen called "Creatures" is elegant, but fun at the same time. I look at these creatures as little action figures in ceramic. And, that is a good thing in my opinion. These characters have a soul, and a back story, and a running narrative, and a future adventure with other ceramic friends. Love this stuff.

Visit their web sites. Get in touch with them. Buy lots of their work.
Images shown belong to their respective artist. Please visit their web sites for more.

No comments: